Creation Illustrated magazine is a quarterly publication that is chock full of gorgeous photographs, yummy looking recipes, and heart-warming stories.
From the website:
Creation Illustrated is published quarterly (beginning in Fall 1993) as a private, nonprofit, non-denominationally owned ministry dedicated to the eternal impact of sharing Biblical truth through the blessings of God’s creation.
The editors and publishers are a Christian couple, Tom and Jennifer Ish, who homeschooled their daughter, Melissa, and have dedicated their lives to serving God by providing positive choices in reading material for the whole family.
I honestly can’t get over the quality of the photos in this magazine! The flowers look so real that I feel like should be able to smell them right through the pages. The food looks amazing, and the close-up shots of the birds ……WOW! There is a fantastic one of a hummingbird in mid-flight in the Spring 2012 issue.
The recipes are in recipe-card format, so you can just cut them out and put it right into your recipe holder. I love that the recipe is printed on both the fronts and backs, meaning that when you DO cut out the recipes, you’re not also cutting out part of an article that you might have wanted to go back and read later on. (Don’t you hate when they do that in the magazines? I know I do!)
My kids and I really enjoyed the “Wild Pony Witness” that was beautifully written by a 9th-grade homeschooler in the Fall 2011 issue. She details her trip to see the Assateague ponies with her family one Sabbath day – she really did an amazing job of writing this article!
Creation Illustrated runs photo contests for kids ages 5-15, and they encourage the children to write a poem or a statement that “describes what the photo says about God the Creator.” I love that!
At the back of the magazine, there is an instructional guide that includes study questions from the different stories in the issue, devotional reading suggestions (including page numbers on which to find them), suggested activities to reinforce the lessons learned, and word search puzzles for the kids to do.
Here is just a partial listing of what can be found in the Spring 2012 magazine:
- A Creatures Near and Dear to Us feature on hummingbirds called “Flying Jewels”
- An Outdoor Adventure story on Yellowstone National Park
- A Lens on Creation snapshot of birds on “Bonaventure Island”
- A Creation Day 6, Part 3 story on the Creation of Humans
- Creation Highlights in the news
- A Creation Resource Guide
- A Creation Stewardship page
- My Walk with God story called “Bloom Where You’re Planted”
- A Genesis Cuisine recipe section featuring Smoothies for homemakers
- A Wholesome Living Guide
- An encouraging children’s story called “Bunny Surprise”
- A Youth Photo Contest
- An Instructional Guide to help homeschoolers and teachers glean key spiritual and character-building lessons from each article
- An Educational Resource Guide
- Uplifting poetry
- And more!
Here are some more images from inside the different magazines:
Online subscription rates are:
- 1 year (4 issues) – $19.95
- 2 years (8 issues) – $37.95
- 3 years (12 issues) – $53.95
Canadian residents add $5.00/year for postage.
Residents of foreign countries, add $10.00/year for Foreign postage.
Paying by Credit Card will SAVE you $5 per year, per subscription!
Residents of the US can get a free trial issue.
Back-issues of Creation Illustrated can be purchased here.
I am really impressed with these magazine, and I think it is well worth the price!
Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of the Summer 2011, Fall 2011, Winter 2012 and Spring 2012 issues in exchange for my honest opinion. No monetary compensation was received. All thoughts and opinions are my own.